Saturday, October 15, 2011

Party Rule # 5 – Fist Pump to the Universal Party Balance

[continued from Party Rule # 4]

Go with the Party Flow. AKA  The Quickening…

I move further into the Thunderdome's bowl, dancing low now, bending like a surfer, at face level with people’s waistlines in the midst of a group dance -- like a dancehall barbarian in the Philadelphian savanna.  A girl screams at me – “What are you doing!” but I am moving in synch with the atmosphere.  I probe further.  Another brunette with senses sees I’m getting away with too much and her will penetrates mine.  Compelled to make physical contact, she backs that thang up, pushing me backwards into a crowd.  I brace myself to try to ride the wild cowgirl to Akon’s second verse of David Guetta’s Sexy Bitch, a club classic - DAMN GIRL!!!  Sweat is now pouring through, it is late, and the experience is nearing a close.  There is a shorter male with a scarf on.  He looks Latin.  The scarf is mine.  It must have fallen to the floor while dancing.  I entreat, “Hey man – that’s my scarf.  Give it back to me if I buy you a beer?”  “Okay okay – you go, go.”  He points to the bar.  I shake my head – “No, no, you have to come with me.”  He nods, obliges, and removes the scarf after I procure him a bud light.  We cheers and live well. 

Although my goal is sexual at the outset of the night like most of the other males at this scene, something kicks in - something is different tonight, and I can feel it; it is tangible.  I see people fist pumping and jumping to the sky.  What are they pumping to; what are they signaling to?  Is it the DJ?  No, higher…Are they praying to the disco ball?  No, that’s stupid.  Higher.  Another sensibility.  I feel it because chills are running down my spine and without question, I am fist pumping and jumping to the sky in unison as well -- to a universal party-oneness. Finally, I understand why we fist pump -- Don’t look back, move past the object and to the second-level, the phenomenal.  Fist pump – Chest bump, to the force that makes the universe funk, a pinhead balancing the wings of everything…The fist pump is a prayer to the eternal party force.   

Through the fist pump, party-oneness becomes easier to obtain: the act of connection with every living being in the room - the dj, the dancers, the bouncers, the bartenders.  Collective dance strips the protective layers by encouraging group thought and connection, and within the realm of the club, all races are together as one party-whole.  Appropriate levels of intoxication can also encourage party-oneness, but it is not necessary.  Freud calls this the greater oceanic feeling, otherwise known as entry into the collective unconscious.  Party-oneness requires reacting to the forces and energies in the room, not fighting it. 

The party person becomes the moment -- You are the actor, the entertainment, the main character, and yet an extra merely secondary to the identity of the party.  At a good party all party goers are main characters lacking individuality – the collective identity transcends everyone into a greater mutually amenable being – all shift to a higher plane of perception.  Dudes bumping into me, I don’t care – I’m not bothered.  Guys bumping into girls; they don’t care.  They’re not bothered.  The music pushes them into each other, reminding each that they are merely forces on earth who move with the waves of time and music.

Attending a party simply for sexual encounters leaves the seeker unsatisfied and frustrated, or emotionally cheapened by the physical obsession and objectification.  Freud understood that humans are inevitably sexual creatures, especially at the party, so sex is always there.  It is the elephant in the room but shouldn’t be the objective to partying, for it separates the ego from the collective whole by shifting the focus to individual desires.  Party-oneness is most tangible while partying, and easily obtainable when not entirely distracted by sex.  It requires reacting to the forces and energies in the room -- not fighting it – and suddenly there is a sense of oneness with all living things, connection with the dj, the dancers, the bouncers, the bartenders – understanding the energy and sharing with all.  The party epiphany leads the individual to party for party oneness.  The key to party-oneness is feeling the strings in the room and letting the party take you where it will.  One who parties for the party itself never departs unsatisfied.  Unencumbered, the party soul remains pure.  


At 2 AM the lights come on like a spot light from the heavens, indicating, sadly, that the party is over… On the walk out of the club, Big J is asking people “Anyone going back to Bensalem?  Anyone can give us a ride to Bensalem?”  This is Northern Liberties, aka No. Li’s, yet Big J feels secure enough to ask random strangers for a ride home.  He clearly is still partying.  The two young lovers who compliment his beads receive the broken set.  She asks for the set.  He obliges.  I criticize that his breaking the cardinal bead-rule of giving away the large beads for nothing.  How quickly I transgressed into materialism.  He explains his reasoning, which holds up.  “Besiedse,” he says, “Besides, there’s no more use for a broken set of beadsz.”

Big J man way to rock the house


We throw down again for another cab, driven by another nice, young African man ensuring safe delivery back to Big J’s house -- a bargain at 30 dollars per head.  Upon arrival, he passes out, and I raid his fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment